Jedi fails to be recognised as a religion

General Rambling, Waffling, and Chatter. Questions, Website Issues, and other general topics can be found here.
JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Jedi fails to be recognised as a religion

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:33 am

I read with interest that a campaign in the UK to register Jediism as a religion (and thereby a charity) failed. According to media reports "The Charity Commission wrote that Jediism "lacks the necessary spiritual or non-secular element" to be registered as a religion and "does not promote moral or ethical improvement".

http://mashable.com/2016/12/20/jedi-rel ... J_dyeS_iqg

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... mission-uk

I actually don't care if it becomes a religion or not however I question the rationale "lacks the necessary spiritual or non-secular element" and "does not promote moral or ethical improvement". I would actually argue the opposite and affirm that Jedi Philosophy in all its shades does indeed promote moral and ethical improvement.

"Although Jediism and the Jedi Doctrine as promoted by TOTJO includes the promotion of spirituality, there is insufficient evidence that moral improvement is central to the beliefs and practices of TOTJO. Particularly, as the Jedi Doctrine can be accepted, rejected and interpreted by individuals as they see fit"

The idea that the concept of a "Higher Power" is indelible and should be decided by followers of a path is not unique to Jedi.

The spiritual and non-secular element is a subjective matter, for me personally, association with Jedi has helped in my spiritual growth although I don't class that as a religion. You get dogmatic religious people that are non-spiritual and spiritual people that are secular.

If anything I will continue to list my "religion / spirituality" as "Jedi" on the census, for the sake of a label and to let the bean counters know we do exist, it is a spiritual path for many and not just a fad.

Is Jediism registered as a religion in the US?
Last edited by JT on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter” - Yoda
www.dailyjedi.com

JediJian
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Re: Jedi fails to be recognised as a religion

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Jedi JT,

as far as I know Jedi is not registered as an official religion in the US. And I totally agree with your statements. I cannot understand the thoughts the judges had when they claimed there is no ethics and spirituality in Jediism. In fact, these are one of the core (!) principles of the Jedi path. This shows one again: Believing in a God no one can prove is always okay when you believe, but finding your own truth is not, as in Jediism. Per definition, Jedi is in fact a religion, a set of principles to explain xy. In the end is doesn't matter: If you are a Jedi you are, if you are not you are not. No need to believe. But I will still state I am a Jedi when asked. I am a Jedi. That is truth, not believe. And no court can change that;). Btw, I like you profile quotation. Very wise. /Jian
"Not if anything to say about it I have"
~ Yoda

"Who's your Jedi master? WHO'S your Jedi Master?"
~ Yoda

:bow:

Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Temple of the Jedi Order is a 501c(3) under the IRS Tax Code. Which gives them non-profit status under the tax code that includes (among other categories) Religious Organizations. That does not make it an officially recognized religion within the United States, but many Jedi tend to view it that way.

As for the Judge's conclusion. I view it a summary of this line:
Particularly, as the Jedi Doctrine can be accepted, rejected and interpreted by individuals as they see fit
This is true. As many Jedi websites do not use TotJO's Doctrine to begin with. This the tribal nature of the Jedi Community. I do not subscribe to everything in the Maxims or the Doctrine as outlined by that group. Just as they do not subscribe to the Jedi Circle.
does not promote moral or ethical improvement
That seems like a specific group issue. I would argue this applies to a group that allows the discussions and people they do to be memebrs of their website and forums. Hard to promote ethics and morals when you allow individuals to run toughshot on your guidelines and basic Jedi Tenets. The trade-off of running a very popular website. Internet Culture vs. Internet Culture.

Outside of that most Jedi Doctrine, even TotJO's, can lead to Ethics and Morals, but unless you have a specific program which actually helps people develop in that area - it just won't fly for outside people like Judges.

In the end. It is a small matter. As always Jedi can you a personal religion. And that should be enough.
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong." - Mordin Solus
ImageImageImageImage

JediJian
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Thank you for the information, interesting to know
"Not if anything to say about it I have"
~ Yoda

"Who's your Jedi master? WHO'S your Jedi Master?"
~ Yoda