American Jedi Documentary

General Rambling, Waffling, and Chatter. Questions, Website Issues, and other general topics can be found here.
Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

American Jedi Documentary

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 am

I forgot to post this. Shows how excited I am for it. Anyhow. The American Jedi Documentary comes out November 21st 2017. It is available to Buy or Rent on iTunes, YouTube (movies), Amazon Video, Hoopla, DISH Network, and some others I don't really remember. iTunes HD price is 12.99 USD, to buy. Rental price on YouTube is like 2.99 I believe, probably the same for Amazon.
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong." - Mordin Solus
ImageImageImageImage

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Re: American Jedi Documentary

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Awesome. I'm about to try to download from Amazon (US). Amazon and Itunes over here does not have it :(

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:56 pm

I have the same problem as JT ..will just have to wait , or try Amazon US , all the other channels are not available :(

Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:48 am

Well.. That sucks.
Does the YouTube version not work either, for international?

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7akim9kJuI
ImageImageImageImage

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:43 am

Unfortunately the title on Itunes, Amazon and Youtube are not available to us plebs in convict land (Australia).
Feeling a little triggered at the moment. I was looking forward to watching.
Time to accept the things I cannot change.
Last edited by JT on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 am

Update: I heard from the producers. They said the documentary is only available state-side at the moment but will be released globally in the new year.

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:59 am

:THIS: :THIS: :THIS:

Same here , we will have to practice patience .... :meditate:

Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:41 pm

:hmmm: I am sorry guys. I wish there was a work around. I look forward to your thoughts. Hopefully it reaches you sooner than later.
ImageImageImageImage

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:26 pm

They do that on purpose , its part of our Jedi Path :hello: :thumbsup: =D loll

Sage Bromax

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 am

I just finished watching it. I think it was very well done. I liked the input from followers of other religions regarding the tenants of Jediism. It reminded me of discussions from my comparative world religions courses in college in the '70s.

I will be showing it to the family soon. It will be interesting to get their feedback.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - Robert A. Heinlein

Brandel Valico
Cave of the Whills
Cave of the Whills

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 am

For those outside the States. If you have a VPN set it to connect to a Stateside server and you can watch it just like you were here. With all the same requirements Stateside people have.

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 pm

So i watched it , had to take it in before commenting , its so very real , and in that it was very well made , the struggles were real and the points presented by the representatives of different religions were very well thought of , overal a good documentary and a good representation of the Jedi path. The things we all have to overcome to come to our true nature on the road to Knighthood, or even on the road to living as a real life Jedi. It was a good watch :bow:

JediJian
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am

Ah, just saw this post. Yeah, great stuff. Resonates a lot with my challenges at the moment. Good display of Jedi, also nice to see the Onliners a bit more personal. I have recommended it. Reflects the Jedi way pretty well.

So now...waiting for European Jedi =D

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

Amyntas wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 pm
So i watched it , had to take it in before commenting , its so very real , and in that it was very well made , the struggles were real and the points presented by the representatives of different religions were very well thought of , overal a good documentary and a good representation of the Jedi path. The things we all have to overcome to come to our true nature on the road to Knighthood, or even on the road to living as a real life Jedi. It was a good watch :bow:
Hey Amyntas,
Can you get it in Europe now?
Thanks
JT

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 am

Hey JT

Is it not rentable via Amazon where you at? :meditate:

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

I tried the other day and no. I'll try now. :)

JediJian
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

I sent Jedi JT a pm :yoda:

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm

JediJian wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm
I sent Jedi JT a pm :yoda:
Thankyou I got it :)

Amyntas
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you Jedi Jian !! :thumbsup:

JediJian
Jedi Student
Jedi Student

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 am

:yoda: :bow:

ZenMondo
JL Member
JL Member

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am

My Jedi patience paid off. Money is hella tight for me this month due to a move, so the $13.99 price point was doable, but probably best to be deferred for a while. Then Amazon dropped the price to $9.99 looking better. Then the other morning in my email was a credit for $7 in Amazon Video. Score! So I bought it and only spent $2.99!

Now I have heard a lot about this documentary. I hung out with the Filmmaker at Celebration VII, I know nearly everyone in the film either having met in person or interacted online, but managed to stay out of it. The intersection of me and the community did not overlap any of the places he was filming.

Overall I liked it, I thought it was a good snapshot of where the Jedi Community was 2 and 3 years ago, and specifically the stories of Opie, Perris, and Hannigan. Though I thought it would have been amusing for an end title sequence like Fast Times at Ridgemont High where some text explains where each Jedi is now 3 years after filming. I liked the expert opinions on our path especially the Buddhist Nun. I liked the narrative and "twist ending" about the relationship between Miles and Opie.

I did not care for the out of context photograph of Opie with the subtitle reading "ominous music plays" displayed on my screen while it lingered on the image, nor did I think the salacious reenactment was necessary.

I'd probably give it 4/5 stars.

MattW
Explorer
Explorer

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 am

I think it was pretty informative, but I think it focused too much on the Knighthood side of things instead of the overall concept of the belief system.

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 pm

I really liked it. Nice experience.
The interviews with the Methodist Minister, Buddhist Nun, Mythologist and other expert added real nice touch to the documentary.
The way the main characters were presented made people who I have only seen as avatars on forums completely human and familiar to me. I could empathize with them all and felt connected by shared experience.
I really liked Hannigan's line "If the Jedi Path is not about redemption and growth, then what the hell is it about" really summed it up for me.
The way the process of Knighthood was presented as a journey that started at hitting rock bottom followed by reflection, catharsis, decision and action leading to fulfillment and redemption was very poignant. It reminded me of my years of recovery and own struggles.
I would definitely recommend "American Jedi" to others.

I only have one question however. It was not established the basis on which the Jedi Council members are appointed or are given authority to grant Knighthood? How does that part of the community work? Who organizes the Gatherings?
I hope one day to make one.
Thanks

Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 am

How does that part of the community work?
Like any other. It is no longer what you saw. And what you saw only existed for that brief period of time. Didn't really exist before that. Some shape of it - sure, but not that group. How people got that authority is again like anywhere else. Create it. Get your friends to say you have that power. and bam. Done deal.
Who organizes the Gatherings?
Anyone who so desires to put in the time, money, and effort. There is no governing group of gatherings. Someone simply announces when they are hosting one. Where. How Much. etc etc. Due to demographics (and economic status of many Jedi) the United States Midwest locations tend to get the highest number of people.

But there is no real group. California Jedi hosts an annual Jedi Gathering. There have been talks of people from all over making the effort to make it to one our's in like 2019 and by sheer number and location diversity that would be the "official" Jedi Gathering for that year. But again. It is like anything else in the community.

To be clear - All Knighthoods mean only what you want them to. No one has the ability, experience, or right to say yay or nay. How you live is the core of that. And if you respect a group of Jedi enough to value their input and want a little review and ceremony to go with a nod to your advancement living as a Jedi - then you can arrange that at any Gathering. You do not need special permission. There is no government oversight or anything of that nature.

And I am going to stop there.
ImageImageImageImage

JT
Jedi of the First Level
Jedi of the First Level

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks Jedi Opie
That answers my question.

One of the reasons I asked is because I have a page on community on my site and thought I better update it if there is a central group I'm unaware of.

I did look around and could not find a universal governing body which oversees these things. As you said there is no one central group which represents the main Jedi disciplines / streams (Jediists, Jedi Realists and Jedi Pragmatists). It would be nice one day if it existed, a real elected Jedi Council that represents the entire community. In the documentary you talk about gatherings growing and possibly conventions one day. Perhaps also a distant possibility.

As you mentioned I agree it is about how we live and conduct ourselves as opposed to title. One can call themselves anything they want. I consider Jedi to be a verb, not a noun. I believe Jedi is a philosophy of being and action. It is important not to be distracted by the fictional representations and online politics but remain focus on the underlying message, what is Jedi Mindset, Spirit and Action. How does one apply that in their lives? I think the expert commentators touched on that nicely in the documentary. As the Methodist Minister said, "more power to them".

Again, well done on the documentary. Its hard to believe I first entered JAO as you were filming it in mid 2014. The last 3 years and a half have gone by very quickly. I hope to stick around and keep writing in my blog. I have a couple of other projects in progress too. Keeps me out of trouble :)
Thanks
JT

Opie Macleod
JAO Administrator
JAO Administrator

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 am

:thumbsup: :salute: :bow: :myyoda:
ImageImageImageImage