The Badge of Experience (2020)

Back-ups failed. Information lost. Saving what small scraps I can find in this forum.
admin
Site Admin

The Badge of Experience (2020)

Post by admin »

An introduction - this will sound boastful, I promise there is a point.
I am Opie Macleod. My very first accounts were under Opie_Penz from about 1997-1998 (before, 94-97, that I didn't have a screen name and watched quietly - Lurker). In 1999 I adopted the name Opie-Wan and became vocal at the Force Academy. After a brief hiatus I came back as Opie-Wan Macleod. I jumped between many screen-names 00-03. Eventually Opie Macleod became the solid choice and one I have kept pretty constantly since. In that time I have been a member of several "Councils". I have been given various Ranks including Jedi Knight and Jedi Master. These all come from various organizations with varying degrees of "difficulty" in earning them (I'd list all this individually, but it is long and unnecessary). From 2000-2010 I fought the entire Jedi Community on Standards, Accountability, Titles, Training, and Materials. Demanding more, demanding better. By 2011 I stopped fighting them and focused solely on advancing the Jedi Way. I have written a few books on the Community, the Path, and our Philosophy. I showed that YouTube could be a valuable tool in training (not the first, probably not the best, but the one that took it to the next level). I have written the most Jedi lessons by a singular Jedi in our (brief) history (103/T3 will have 125 lessons alone). And have built the most complete archive of our past community. Despite claims to the contrary I have never actually left the Jedi Community (taken breaks for sure) and hold the distinction of having the longest active streak in the community 1999-2020. The point?

What Rank/Title do you believe I hold? The answer is Jedi. That is all. Because all that nonsense above only amounts to one simple thing. That I am right there in the trenches with you. Every single day I wake up is Day One. Every day is a new day to either succeed at being a Jedi or fail at being a Jedi. It doesn't magically change from day one to day 7665. Certain things become easier. Patterns are much easier to recognize. Tried and true methods have been discovered. Pitfalls have been charted. But it still means waking up and being a Jedi. It still requires daily practices (meditation, fitness, etc.). It still requires patience and execution.

The only difference between you and me is what day we are on. The rest? It is the same. You'll struggle. I'll struggle. But we work through it - together. We take each step as Jedi as best we can. We live, we learn, we grow. There is no title that changes that. There is no amount of time that changes that. We are Jedi on this Path together. I have more experience as a Jedi. I have faced a plethora of life's challenges as a Jedi. But each morning we walk through the trenches as Jedi together.

So how do we acknowledge growth and experience if we don't use titles? How can people know that I have been through the wars as a Jedi and I am not some newbie playing pretend or some "Old Guard" trying to relive past glories that never were? Badges. Recognition for Effort and Experience. Time put into studying, training, and living as a Jedi in everyday life. Here you will learn how our badge system works. How to earn each badge. And how you can display your own badges.

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your time. :bow:
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Badge of Experience (2020)

Post by admin »

-=:: Badge Information ::=-
General Infomation
Badges can be grabbed from this location or you may use your own hosting service.
Badges are Earned. Please do not use them unless you completed the requirements.
Please keep badges to Jedi Living Use. The rest of the community doesn't care.
Keep them in your Signature if you chose to use them or you may use the Record of Badges topic (or both).
Don't keep more than one type. Meaning, don't use the 101 Badge and the 102 Badge. Use the highest form.

How to Use Them
Put the following your signature to display an image.
Code: Select all

Same for Record of Badges topic. Use the image code to record the badges you have earned.

Misuse AKA Humans Being Human / Reporting
If you feel someone is using a Badge that hasn't been earned - Send me a Personal Message. Include the Username, Where you Noticed It, and Why You Feel It Is False. Be a Jedi about it. It may be a misunderstanding. If HappyTurtle were come be active here she would be able to use many badges, but there would be no public record of it. When in Doubt - Ask. No harm from making sure the Honor System is being Upheld. I prefer you ask me than allow someone to mislead others.
-=:: Badges ::=-
Jedi Helper
This badge can be claimed after completion of Jedi 101 at the least. It shows that you are a Helper - meaning that you are available to answer questions about the Program (Not Teach! Not Advise!). You are the Information Desk. You can point people to the right forum. Help them navigate the site, archives, etc. It also means you are part of the Welcome Committee - offering a friendly "Hello There" to all new members. Please Do Not Use This Badge if you don't want to shoulder that responsibility.

Jedi 101
Easily Earned. Complete the Jedi 101 - Jedi Culture Lessons. Also Known As Tier 1.

Jedi 102
A little less easy - Complete the Jedi 102 - Jedi Foundation Lessons. AKA Tier 2. And earn this Badge.

Jedi 103
A test of Jedi patience. Complete Jedi 103 - Jedi Application (Tier 3) to earn this Badge.

Jedi 104
A Challenge. Complete Jedi 104 - Jedi Life (T4) and Earn This Badge.

Jedi 105
A rarity. Pass Jedi 105 - Jedi Teaching and you'll get to sport a Badge few will.

Jedi Library 1
Get to Reading Jedi. Complete the List with Book Reports and the Badge is Yours.

Jedi Library 2
Rinse and Repeat.

Jedi Library 3
Probably the Easiest to Earn - BUT!!! Must Be Earned in Order.

Offline Jedi
A random and unnecessary badge. Meet me in-person then ask me back here if you earned it. Places you can find me - Star Wars Celebration (mainly when in California). California Jedi Gatherings (not always, check to make sure). Disneyland, Scum and Villainy, or 49er game (arranged). Just some examples.

Jedi Service
120 Hours of Meditation Recorded on Insight Timer.
100 Hours of Community Service, Volunteer Work. Recorded or Verifiable in some way.

JAO Jedi
In 2007 Jedi Academy Online was created. It would later become the Jedi Foundation before reverting back. And eventually become Jedi Living. Have you survived this journey? Were you there when we called ourselves Jedi Academy Online? Show your commitment by claiming this Badge.

JF Jedi
Same as before. Were you a member of the Jedi Foundation when we went by that name? How many tier changes have you gone through? Remember when we had a Simple Machines Forum? If you lived through that - claim your badge.

Specially Awarded
Awarded by Opie Macleod. However! You can chose to Nominate a Jedi for it. What are the requirements? A Secret. How is it earned? A Secret. Think you know a Jedi here that has gone above and beyond and would pass any secret requirements I may have??? Nominate them and find out. Fair Warning - It is very, very, difficult to earn.

Opie's Apprentice
I will take on one student (at a time) in the old traditional Mentor-Apprentice style. ((This position is Currently Filled)) If you have been my Apprentice or are my Apprentice - the Badge is yours. A badge of courage really. I am not an easy mentor. If a Jedi has this - they put up with a lot.