The History: (2016)

Back-ups failed. Information lost. Saving what small scraps I can find in this forum.
admin
Site Admin

The History: (2016)

Post by admin »

Welcome to the History of the Jedi Community. We will be looking at how our community got started as well as at the history of major aspects of our community. The History of the Jedi Code, the very first Jedi Site which helped encourage the Community to grow. The history of Isms and Aspects. Even the history of our lovely group, Jedi Living.

Some people like to discount the importance of history. Writing it off as unimportant to living your life now. However over the twenty-plus years the Jedi Community has existed, it has repeated certain cycles. These cycles were a direct result of reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. It is important that we build upon the foundations set for us by those who came before. This allows us to avoid certain pitfalls and enables us to grow from the steps already built by those before us.

We don't want to venerate the past and those who helped build the community, but we do want to remember the contributions which leads us to this point. I think it is good to know that what you have now was not always the case. There was and is a process to progress and seeing this can help you build for future Jedi. Our community and path is far from complete or over, there is a lot of work to still be done. And seeing the triumphs and failures of the overall Community can help you as you begin to build your own lifestyle and walk the path.

I also really enjoy making sure people know where certain ideas and concepts came from. It is one thing to know the Jedi Code. It is another to know it, its creator, how and when it was created, the various versions of it, and what role it has played in the Jedi Community. Likewise, it is one thing to know the term Jediism and another to know where that developed from, what groups held onto it, what terminology came before, and so forth.

I do realize not everyone enjoys history like I do. Some view as the dusty old man locked in a room with millions of books unmoving and no sense of urgency. Not really my take, but I will look to make sure that this is informative and not completely boring. I'll look to make sure you have the ability to explore the history, to see it, not just read about it. And who knows, maybe you'll become the first true Jedi Historian.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The History: (2016)

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture One =-
Before there was the Jedi Community there was the Jedi Code. Since the community's beginning the Jedi Code has played a vital role in its teachings and development. So before we even begin to talk about the history of our community we are looking to look at one of the most pivotal texts still in use to this day.

The Jedi Code was created in 1987 by West End Games for their tabletop role-playing guide of Star Wars. The author of the Code is assumed to be Greg Costikyan. As the Jedi were nearly extinct in the original trilogy not a lot of attention was given to playing a Jedi character in those days. Of course there would be many seeking to follow in the steps Luke Skywalker so a singular page was given to the idea of a Jedi character. On this page (69 in the original First Edition) there was a small graphic which listed the Jedi Code.
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

It is speculated that the Heart Sutra along with the movies helped develop the Jedi Code into the format we see here. Though that has not been confirmed by any reliable means. Still the similarities are striking and certainly reading over the Heart Sutra to look for yourself doesn't hurt. But I digress.

This version of the Jedi Code would last for nearly ten years. It is often referred to as the Four Line Code, the 1987 version and/or sometimes (and incorrectly) referred to as the Anderson Code since it was featured in Kevin J. Anderson's novel (so people mistakenly credit him as the creator of the Code).
Due to the comics and various forms of new media coming out for Star Wars materials many companion guides were released between 1987 and 1996. One of the last materials West Ends Games would publish is the Tales of the Jedi Companion Guide. In it the Jedi Code would received a change. This was due to the storyline portrayed in the Dark Horse Comics; Tales of the Jedi: Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon, Tales of the Jedi: The Saga of Nomi Sunrider, and Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising. The Jedi Code got a little mention in those stories and the Companion Guided gave the history.
Emotion, yet Peace.
Ignorance, yet Knowledge.
Passion, yet Serenity.
Chaos, yet Harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

This version is referred to as the Yet Version of the Code or the 1996 versions (I have a preference for using dates to help clear up confusion). In 1996 the Jedi Community was just starting to really begin. But this new version of the Jedi Code did not catch on. And would not receive much attention until many years later. At the same time West End Games would eventually lose their contract and rights to Star Wars soon after. The new company put in-charge of all role-playing material was Wizards of the Coast (which Fantasy Flight Games took over the license in August 2011). They would go on to expand upon the Jedi Code eventually creating the Jedi Rules of Behavior in 2002 (for their Power of the Jedi sourcebook). Even in that book they would still only use the 1987 version of the Code. Before we continue with that there is a detour that takes place.

In 1999 a new Jedi Code would be published. As the Prequels began and there was a lot of hype for the new movies, many books were created to go along with it. The Phantom Menace had a lot of people falling in love with the Jedi again. Especially with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. We first get a glimpse at a new Jedi Code in Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Jedi (published April 25, 1999). We also get a look at this in the Star Wars Epsiode I: The Phantom Menace Scrapbook published June 7, 1999. Which a version of this Jedi Code would later be made famous through the New Jedi Order book series especially when it is given by Luke Skywalker at (SPOILERS) Mara Jade's Funeral. That Code is as follows:
Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others, rather than rule over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

Jedi Knights, formerly known as Real Jedi Knights, is one of the few places that cites this as the Jedi Code and holds it to over the original Jedi Code. Most places simply distinguish it as different. Other names you may come across for this version of the Jedi Code is the Skywalker Code, the Jedi Creed, or my preference the 1999 Jedi Code.

It would be a few years later that the more popular and most used version would be released. In 2003 video game developer BioWare would release Knights of the Old Republic. In their award-winning and popular game they used the Jedi Code, but would combine both of the previous versions. They used the five lines from the 1996 version with the format of the 1987 version. Creating what is often called the Five Line version of the Jedi Code (or 2003 version).
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Fortunately for us this is the last real revision to the Jedi Code which simply combines the two most popular codes. There have been other codes over the years. Mostly created for FanFic or Jedi creating to create their own Jedi Code. Even the Jedi Circle was once born out of the idea of creating a better "code" if you will. But these truly don't factor into the History of our community and you'll find most Jedi Sites will have you create your own Code as part of exploring the Jedi Code. So we'll be by-passing all that. I think you have had enough information overload anyhow.
No? Well you can explore this topic with our Video Lecture on it (It is long, but you have two weeks to finish it):

###
:: The History Assignment One ::
Do you feel the Jedi Code had a direct impact one the Jedi Community as it is now? (No right or wrong answer here, just your honest thoughts - I don't know counts as an honest thought, but do take the two weeks to really consider it.)
Which version of the Jedi Code do you enjoy the most? Why?
If you were to run your own Jedi Website/Academy which version would you use, if any? If that differs from above, why? If you wouldn't include it, why not?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Two =-
And then there was one. The first one. The one that gets all the credit. Though that credit is a bit of my fault and not entirely accurate. Confused yet? In 1995 the internet became something people could access. It existed in various forms before that, but what we see and know as the internet these days really became available in 1995 in a recognizable form. Now it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of the first people involved with cyberspace back then were .... "nerds." Which is wonderful, since it set-ups the whole - Science inspires Science-Fiction and Sci-Fi in turns inspires Science. But that is for another time. Point here is that Star Wars discussion boards were not far behind and had been in existence (again in one form or another) a bit before that. From Bulletin Boards and Chat rooms the fans of Star Wars were there from the beginning. Role-playing, debating, sharing the love of Star Wars and the ideas expressed within it.

So when we say the first Jedi site we are being a bit loose with that term. What we truly mean is this is the very first site most Jedi who would go on to create the foundations of the Community came across. It is the oldest surviving Jedi site. And it was one of, if not the first, to use adapted existing techniques (such as meditation) to give aspiring Jedi something to actually practice/"train". What was this place that inspired many Jedi to begin to create their own Jedi Academy? Lets look at a clear breakdown.
::Site Name::
The Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. Also known as the Jedi Praxeum.
::Created By::
Kharis Nightflyer.
::Creation Date::
Unknown, closest verifiable date we have is (12-14-95) December 14th, 1995.
::About Website (from website)::
Your training will be a landscape of self-discovery. Learn new things, and share what you have learned with the others. I have called this place a praxeum. This word, made up of ancient roots, was first used by the Jedi scholar Karena, distilling the concepts of learning combined with action. Our praxeum, then, is a place for learning of action. A Jedi is aware, but does not waste time in mindless contemplation. When action is required, a Jedi acts.

Choose a lesson from the following lists. It is best to complete the lessons in order. Our campus' holoprojectors will recreate the images of Jedi, who will guide you through the lessons. Contact my apprentice, Instructor Kharis Nightflyer, if you have any questions.
::Focus::
Here I'll note, training style, "isms", things of that nature. As the first Jedi Site there was not much of all that. Training would eventually fall under the term "Solo Training". And if we are going to perpetuate 'isms' it would fall under RPG-ism. Mainly it was a Star Wars fan site created for role-playing purposes and sort of became something more.
::History from Site and/or Creator::
Greetings, prospective students. I am Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight. I have founded the Academy to bring back the ancient knowledge of the Jedi, and to teach those who are strong in the Force to use their power wisely. This Academy will foster your abilities and teach you to use them to help the New Republic, in the tradition of the Jedi Knights who kept peace and order in the Old Republic for 1000 generations... But that was before the Empire.

It is true that the Emperor has been defeated, but remnants of his Empire still hold many systems in their grips. I know that one day, with your help, peace and justice will prevail throughout the Galaxy.

You are strong with the Force. That is why you are here. Here you will learn the ways of the Force, and become a Jedi. But, first you must train and practice. And be tested in your skills. And face your worst fears, for only then, will you be a Jedi. Patience is the first lesson you will learn, but there will be many others.

My apprentice, Kharis Nightflyer, and I hope to see you soon.

May the Force be with you-- Luke Skywalker
::My Experience, View, Involvement::
So like many this was my first website I found. It encouraged me to continue my search which would eventually lead me to the Mos Eisley Cantina chat in 1996. I would continually come back to this site over the years. Though by 2000 I let it collect dust as the creator stopped updating the site after Episode One was released. As you can see by the descriptions this site had a very heavy role-playing focus and terminology. It was very much based in the fiction, but it was done well enough that people like myself intended up asking that ever important question - Why Not? Why can't I live this way in my everyday life?

The issue with, lets call it Jedi Praxeum to keep things short, was that it offered no real communication. You could e-mail the creator of the site. But he wasn't a Jedi or trying to be one. He was just a decent guy who was a big Star Wars fan. And depending on what day you caught him (or how you e-mailed him), you were either a fan of his or felt he was a jerk. Different Jedi had different experiences with him in other words. By the time 1999 came around the the Jedi Community had blown up in membership Kharis Nightflyer had stopped answering new e-mails and was basically done with the site.

So I would continually drop by the site. It was my place to just go back to basics and focus on the inspiration and joy of becoming a Jedi. However you can only go over the same material, sch was limited, so many times. By 2002 the site had disappeared from the net. It was only due to the efforts of Relan Volkum that a copy of the website survived. As with all of Relan's archives those were taken down eventually as well. Fortunately before that happened I also secured a copy of the website and have it open for you to explore.

::Archived Version of Site::
Jedi Academy on Yavin 4: http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/swja/
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Two ::
Take the first steps all Jedi back then took. Go to the archived version of the website and explore it. Seek to put yourself in the shoes of finding a Jedi site for the first time. Imagine this being the only place available to you. After you have explored it for a bit (you have a couple weeks, take your time and really dig into it) answer some basic questions.
What did you like about the website?
What didn't you like about it?
What impact do you feel this site may have had on the community as it is now? If any.
Do you think you would have stuck around and sought to be a Jedi if this were the first and only website you found?
What was your favorite lesson? (You can use a link or quote the whole lesson - my preference is quoting)
Holo Sequence 14 is called Dangers of Training Jedi - What is the source material for this section?
If you were to create your own ideal Jedi site/group what would you take from this site, if anything?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Three =-
The next website is also one that many leaders and founders of Jedi websites over the years claimed to have found first. At the time of its creation the Mos Eisley Cantina chat had become very popular and many off-shoots of the chat were created to help easy the flow of conversation and role-playing. Out of this some individuals took it upon themselves to create role-playing websites and message boards to have a more permanent record of the lessons and stories and such. Two of these types of sites we'll briefly cover later on.

A wonderful Jedi named Tionne who was a regular of the Mos Eisely chats would get a Jedi master to help her progress. She was one of the first to really have that idea of applying some of the more realistic lessons to her life. I wasn't very vocal in those days yet she would still take time to say hi and look to include me. It was part of what she felt being a Jedi was about - being the kind story-teller that had a smile for everyone (hence her online name). Her Master was a bit more brisk, but considered a very knowledgeable individual that many looked up to. Two of his biggest fans were Streen and Relan Volkum - names which will crop up later. This "Jedi master" was a good fit for Tionne as they both had a love for stories and the power they held. As such he shared his knowledge in a way that appealed to him so that all interested could share the in story.

Jedi Lore

Gedi a.k.a. John B. Gordon III

June 1997 - No exact date is to be made. We know it was made in 1997, which can be verified on the site. But made after the re-release of the Original Trilogy in the theaters. And since I found this place in June of 1997, we know it to have existed since that time.

Welcome to JEDI LORE. This is a page like no other on the Internet. The Star Wars universe is looking for Force Sensitive Adepts, who understand the true meaning of the Force. The Force what causes it? A question that has no answer. An answer that leads to more questions. At Jedi Lore you will learn about the SW universe and more importantly the Force. The Force is a river, and the Jedi are not the only beings with a cup. New to JEDI LORE is Jediscope. Here trained Jedi, learn more about their past and possible futures. Look towards the stars for answers.The "arrival" is over. DARK LORE is here.The final aspect of Jedi Lore, Jedi Holocron, is the connection between life and luminous beings of the Force. Gedi Lore explains about the SW literary universe, Knowledge of the Force begins your quest. Other Force adepts are a list of other Force sensitive sites, that you need to see. Pay attention to detail, but Ignore ignorance. Prepare yourself for the Jedi Trials. Your choices will tell which path you will follow. Beware of the Dark Side. Because the Force is here, the Dark side is also, as well as the light. Do or do not…There is no try. If you try, you fail. Mind what you have learned. Your first choice awaits you.
A Fan Site that inspired much more. We would call this Solo Training and RPG-ism.

Not Available. Though you can read Relan Volkum's reflections on the restored version - Here: http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jedil ... uence.html

I ran across Jedi Lore a few times during my Jedi experience. 1997 was the first time I found the site. 1998 was the first time I actually participated in the site. It is what lead me to picking up a lot of the Expand Universe books of the time. The Jedi Academy Trilogy being the most known. Like Kharis Nightflyer's site I found the lack of communication discouraging. And did not seek to send a e-mail to seek further information. After-all there were already places which offered chatrooms and message boards (which can be semi-seen on the Jedi Lore links page). I think it took me two days to go through all the material. And I repeated the process every three months or so. By 2000 I had stopped visiting the site at all and no longer had it bookmarked.

I was inspired by the site on my first visit. Likewise I was also discouraged by the site. While it carried that feeling of becoming a Jedi Apprentice through the role-play set-up, it also never let you forget that it was all fictional material. So while I had that feeling of hope of being a Jedi by the end it felt as if I had just been playing Jedi. It was a weird and interesting mix. Both encouraging and depressing at the same time. It certainly left you wanting more, but more of what was the question. More material for sure, but also more applicable material. It left you with that sense that there has to be something more out there. That someone had to have taken the steps further. That someone must have grown beyond this and was indeed a Jedi Master.

For me it left me with a clear impression. We must be fully aware of and knowledgeable of our source material. That the fictional Jedi play a core part in our development and it is wise to keep in mind the inspiration from which we grew. It is most likely because of Jedi Lore, more than any other site, that I sought to grow from the fiction rather than grow from Tao te Ching or Zen Buddhism. It left me with the impression that one could become a Jedi based upon fictional inspiration as long as one was willing to explain it and try to live by it.

But outside of those brief two days encounters and fond rose-tinted memories there isn't much to be said about Jedi Lore. Like Nightflyer's site and lot of us old timers found our way there and were inspired to seek something more. Or create something more. It was an important building block. A key in our foundation and beginnings. But ultimately was simply one fan's expression of the Sci-Fi he loved.

Jedi Lore: http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jedilore/
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Three ::
Review the site.
What was your favorite lesson?
Take the Trials. How did you do?
If you had discovered that site first - Would you have still sought Jedi Training?
What impact do you feel this site may have had on the community as it is now? If any.
If you were to create your own ideal Jedi site/group what would you take from this site, if anything?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Four =-
The next website we will explore was considered one of the three major Jedi sites of its day. The reason we will start with this one is because its roots spring from the same well as Jedi Lore and Jedi Praxeum. During those Mos Eisely Cantina chats certain little groups formed. Friendship born out of a shared enjoyment and character development. Eventually the younger generation wanted a bit more - something a bit more permanent. So Role-Playing message boards began to be created. Jedi Alliance and later Jedi Alliance II would be a couple of these. Created in 1997 they would provide a home for a group of role-players which would ultimately impact the beginnings of the Jedi Community. In December of 1998 these two sites merged to create The Jedi Council website. While this was very much a role-playing group the two main Administrators, Mitth'raw and Streen, did have an idea of using the lessons to inspire real-life lessons as well. This is where Relan Volkum began his journey and was truly inspired by these individuals. The three quickly became friends and a new vision would be born shortly after.

The Jedi Council was retired by 1999, not long after the original merger. In its place Jedi Creed was born. And while it made sure to have plenty of resources and space for role-playing the focus was much more on application. Lessons and lectures that could apply to real life as much as they did the role-playing.It became one of the most popular websites of what was now known as the Jedi Community. If you started in 1999 you were a member of one of three websites - the Force Academy, the Jedi Academy, or the Jedi Creed. The Jedi Creed would eventually disappear by 2002, but not before the creators went on to establish the Jedi United which would eventually become JEDI - the beginning for many Jedi which are still around today. But that is another lesson.

Jedi Creed
Origins and Progession: Jedi Alliance (I and II), Jedi Council, Jedi Creed.

Mitth'raw, Streen, and Relan Volkum

Created in 1999, officially opening its virtual doors August 6th 1999.

The Jedi Creed

It's about the Force, trusting the Force
Humbling yourself to follow the source
It's about the Path, walking the Path
Faithfully treading on every act

It's not about you, it's not about me
It's not about things we want to see
It's not about catoring to what we please
It's all about being...what we ought to be

So when we are humble, and when we are true
Focusing our lives on things we should do
The source will guide us throughout the course
For it's not about us...

It's about the Force

...Jedi Relan Volkum
Training was part Solo and part Traditional (meaning Apprenticeship). Mainly you explored the site, got involved in discussions, and would eventually find someone that would train you one-on-one. As far as 'isms' go it was mostly RPG-ism, but we see the beginnings and evolution into Jedi Realism.

The Jedi Creed experience was an experience forever changing my lifestyle; it highly altered my process of cognition and perception. I believe it is hardly unreasonable to say the same for the other key members as well.

What made the experience so depthful was not just the circumstances of events, but the stimulations of growth. It required a three-dimensional thought process. At the time of the Jedi Creed's inception, many outside our walls wrote works simply to share wisdom. Some would go far as plugging wisdom either into realistic or fantasy-related scenarios. Many people reading our work could only interpret us this far - whether it was humorously mocking Streen's Vomitting - Disgusting, or Lesson on Life? or awing over Mitth'raw'nurida's and Yoda's collaborative quotefests (such as The Path of Darkness).

The key to our writing was always interrelated with our motto - "We hope to inspire you into realizing your abilities." We did whatever we could to accomplish this. Sometimes the inspiration came from a repetition of quotes ("Unity is the key," "Awareness is the key," "It's that courage to find the key", "Who else has this key?"), the later use of " " instead of the Force, the creation of Jedi/Sith encyclopedias, a letter/word arrangement (Inspiration), and so on. Our depth was found when freedom to express without worries of popular-world criticism took fruition. Yes. A lot of media influences lumped us with the so-called Jedi Census phenomenon. Still we kept ourselves focused on the result of our work, not the hype it may have caused (or is still causing).

It seems the hype has finally drifted into nothingness like it always does eventually. Thank goodness. Finally I can express my obligation to my fellow members by sharing some of our stories with you. All in this new-founded section.

When referring to myself, I'll speak to it as "he" instead of "I" since time has altered me into another being. And I'll do my best to remember as much as possible, I'll give you that. Thank you, and, yes, enjoy my presents to you.

...Jedi Relan Volkum
I had limited experience with Relan Volkum, Streen, and Mitth'raw in the beginning. I had checked in on the Jedi Council a few times before.

Jedi Council - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jedicouncil/
Jedi Creed - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jedicreed/
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Four ::
What is your favorite lesson from the Jedi Creed (there are many to chose from)?
We quoted "The Jedi Creed" in the About Section. But can you find "The Creed" (The Belief)? Out of the two which do you feel explains the site better? Why?
What do you think of the "Color Theory - Lightsabers"?
Do you find this site more or less useful than the previous two? Why or why not?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Five =-
The Jedi Praxeum would quietly disappear in 2002. Just wouldn't be available one day. Jedi Lore would face a similar fate. The Jedi Creed would be taken down a couple of times by one of the main creators much in the same manner as a kid picking up his toys and going home. These were quiet happenings though. The Jedi of the New Millennium had a different exit from our community. One that would extend to its "offspring", if you will, Temple of the Jedi Arts.

Before those fateful events however there was a group of individuals who were inspired by the re-release of the Original Trilogy and the new material being produced because of it. Such as games like Dark Forces as well as comic books and novels. So a group of kids who all had found the Jedi Praxeum and Jedi Lore, but nothing else decided to create their own place. A place that would take their dream of being a Jedi and share it online. They would be the Jedi of Earth, Jedi of the New Millennium.

Jedi of the New Millennium - JotNM

Jean-Luc Walker, Trad Davin, Josh Steffan, Jordan Daeloth, and Jonathan Tapp.

Claimed - June 1997. Though may be closer to June 1998 as inferred by the release date of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Activity was good in 1998, but really took off with the use of ez-board in early 1999. Before that e-mail and a in-site web forum (sort of like a web guestbook) was the main form of interaction. In 2000 JotNM-1 was established due to an issue of administration, ideals, and access.

Little exists from the original form of the Jedi of the New Millennium. Most materials and layout know to the Jedi is from the JotNM-1. Yet that was done by Jedi (Jean-Luc) Walker who was the leader and creator of the JotNM. And he sought to keep to the original intention. JotNM never had an "About Us" section, so instead I want to use the Praxeum page intro:
Welcome to my beloved Jedi Praxeum. I have established this place on the planet of Earth in the hopes of establishing an all-new order of Jedi Knights. You have been chosen as one of these new Jedi by the Force itself. You should be very proud of what you will achieve here, I can sense the Force in you now. I will be in charge of your training here at my Praxeum.

All trainees may report to me or another one of the instructors weekly, somehow; be it ICQ or e-mail. But, if not heard from in four weeks, their membership will be promptly revoked and all their progress here will be lost. After that has happened, the trainee must begin their training all over again, unless I am given good cause not to do so. If a trainee has been revoked, it will by even harder to get a new membership.

I am in charge of this Praxeum, and I welcome all to this place of great learning. I realize there are some dangers here on this planet, but we have taken every precaution to keep these dangers at bay. May the Force be with us all in our learning, so begin when you wish.

Some of you here may be enrolled already, and wish to continue your training in the ways of the Force. To do so, or to review former lessons from me or a different instructor; click on link below labeled "Beginner's Index", and learn from Jedi past.
The Jedi of the New Millennium was much like the Jedi Creed in that it was basically RPG-ism, but was leading the way into Jedi Realism. Basically this means it was Jedi Philosophy focused, but with a heavy use of role-playing to incorporate lessons into real life. The Training was the first Academy-Style training program in the Jedi Community, though during their height Apprenticeships were also used.

((Enter Reklaw's text here ? if I can find it. If not use previous lesson based off Reklaw's text))

In late 1998/early 1999 I ventured to the Jedi of the New Millennium. And while I was very inspired by their format, they were in a transition period and my e-mail to join went unheeded. This was before the ez-board was established. And so while I really wanted to be a part of this group, I moved on in my search. And eventually became active at the Force Academy instead. However I sought to check back in with JotNM and found it was going through some rough turmoil. Things I didn't fully grasp at the time. The issue with Kerian had formed two JotNMs and one eventually became Temple of the Jedi Arts under Koren Jey and Starr. As such I missed a lot of key JotNM history in the early years. Being content to simply read and train without interaction.

My full involvement with the Jedi of the New Millennium came in 2000 with DEGA. DEGA members were split into two-person teams and assigned Jedi sites to visit and educate them about Jedi United (aka encourage them to join). Relan and myself were a DEGA team and we were assigned Jedi of the New Millennium. I also made it my mandate to help said sites, be involved, because I felt the best way to encourage the Jedi United was to show its understanding, wisdom, and willingness to help. At this time Jedi of the New Millennium was in a bit of slump due to many leaving from all the in-fighting.

New leadership was looking to be formed. But instead of seeking to form a council, because that had not worked for them in the past, they were going to elect a leader to get the JotNM on track and active with fresh material. Due to my involvement with DEGA at the site my name was entered into the election process. And for a while it seemed I was to be voted in. However old members returned in the last days of the election and voted for Gemini Sith. The one who pushed for the election and renewal, had a vision, and was a veteran of the JotNM (a known name there).

Having fulfilled the DEGA commitment and not being elected (thankfully) to site administrator/leader I left with Relan. Unfortunately Gemini Sith's work did little to bring activity back to the dying site. And by late 2002 the Jedi of the New Millennium was a ghost town. And Gemini Sith left the community with this closing of the JotNM.

In 2004 I sought to bring the Jedi Community some life. My own sites were not what I was looking for, so I sought to revitalize the Jedi of the New Millennium. I created a new website, new ez-board forums, bought a .com and began the process of bringing the Jedi of the New Millennium back. This endeavor died in late 2004 due to budding membership falling apart due to in-fighting. And myself not being in a position to handle such problems, both time commitment wise and personally (still a bit foolish in the Jedi leader area).

This eventually brought the Jedi of the New Millennium to a close by 2005. I moved on to other projects. And the JotNM finally was put to rest.

Jedi of the New Millennium (main/original concept) - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jotnm/
Jedi of the New Millennium (Opie Redux) - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jotnm2/ (Under Construction)
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Five ::
Like the Creed there are many lessons to be found at this site. Many lessons. While I am sure you can read through most of them within a week. It will probably take you the better part of the week. So make sure you give yourself some time. Now - pick a lesson - which one is your favorite?
Do you feel the Jedi of the New Millennium would still be relevant today? Why or why not?
What were the training guidelines? Do you feel these were a good way to run a website?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Six =-
One of the things that happened more than once in our time has been off-shot sites. Meaning Jedi groups which grew from other preexisting groups. There have been many splits and breakaways since the beginning, but the first started with Jedi of the New Millennium. As we saw in our last lesson there was already a divide between JotNM and JotNM-1. This did not fully disappear as it would seem. Eventually members of the JotNM would change the name and go on to be Temple of the Jedi Arts. This was from the anti-Walker/Reklaw group that had a real issue with the politics and power games of the original JotNM. It was also where the Grey Jedi really were allowed their own space.

Don't get any ideas. Grey Jedi, much like the "Isms" of today were simple glass walls. Born out of the time period. Meaning at the time Light Side and Dark Side was viewed as core parts of the Path. There was the Light Side, Jedi and the Dark Side, Sith. So this middle ground was viewed as a necessary element to explore the entirety of the Path without becoming blinded or ignorant of the other "side." The Jedi Community and the Jedi Path itself has grown from such a dichotomy. You won't really find this black and white division in the community much anymore and even less in the actual teachings of the Jedi Way.
Now the Grey Jedi were different than Shadow Jedi (again, born out of the time period). Grey Jedi believed in "Sides." They viewed Light Side and Dark Side, but felt a Jedi should know and use both. Finding and walking a balance between the two. So they had the longest training since they were required to learn all the material at the website.

It was a very interesting website. Many Jedi ventured in and out over the years, though very few sought out Grey Jedi. Most just enjoyed the welcoming of all Sides. Light Jedi had their space, Grey Jedi had their space, and Dark Jedi were given space as well. So many ventured in to explore the various aspects available at the website. It was one of very few Jedi groups to do this. Off the top of my head I can only think of three websites that gave different Aspects their own space on the same forum. And we'll be covering the other big one soon enough. So lets get into the stats.
Temple of the Jedi Arts
Koren Jey and obi_Starr_kenobi
Summer/Fall of 2000 ? It is know that Koren Jey turned in his official resignation in August of 2000 at Jedi of the New Millennium.
Welcome to The Temple of the Jedi Arts. This site is dedicated to teaching REAL force abilities to people who can feel and use the Force so as these people can go out into the world and use their abilities to be Jedi in the real world. We expect 100% dedication to the Jedi way from the members here. We are not an RPG site. The Force is real and can be used for many different things. Here at TotJA we also cater for each path of the Force and hold regular teachings and classes for training. We acknowledge three different sides of the Force, Light, Dark and Grey. We also feel that the Shadow and Grey are one and the same.

Training
Training is done in three different ways. Master/Padawan training is where are learner finds a Master/Knight through the forums, or more often the teacher finds the student. This is one one one training usually done via Email. Group training is also done here through the forums. I run the Grey training and Xiao the Light. When the teachers run a new course, they will post a notice in the forums. If you wish to join, please reply to these posts. It may take several months before a new course starts. The third method is self teaching. This is where a student goes through the Holocron and teaches themselves the lessons. Forums are used in this method for additional help.
- By Starr.
Very similar to the Jedi of the Millennium, however with a more down-to-earth approach. Things were addressed much more straight forward rather then with a role-playing atmosphere or sense or writing. In terms these days the Temple of the Jedi Arts would be considered a Jedi Realist site. Though they had a clear and heavy focus on Grey Jedi the only site to really offer that outside of Koren Jey's Order of the Grey.

The Temple of the Jedi Arts held academy classes on Light Jedi, Grey Jedi, and Dark Jedi. They also had apprenticeships in each of these aspects as well. The site itself was mostly ran by Starr (obi Starr kenobi ez-board screen name), though many Jedi participated in its growth. Overall the TotJA was a good place to be as it offered many views and opinions to heard in the same place. And had one of the more in-depth training programs and standards for its time.
TotJA is a relatively new site, yet it has an interesting past. The story starts long ago with a Jedi named Walker, who created a site named Jedi of the New Millennium or JotNM. Jedi came to learn, train and discuss the Jedi way and the site thrived for a long time. That was until its creator went on a spiritual journey. A new headmaster was appointed, but trouble was afoot. The Jedi became restless, many argued about the lack of updates made to the site. Therefore I took it upon myself to construct new pages for the site, but with a new headmaster appointed, who was unreliable, the updates never took place, so I created a second site at a new location. This site was not to replace the original, but to take a step forward for the good of the site. With this JotNM's creator Walker, returned to revive the original site, now named JotNM-1. The problems between the sites and their owners and headmasters escalated. To solve the problem I changed this site to TotJA, and became independent of the original site. Along with the name, there was a new set of headmasters appointed as well as a new teaching manner. Since then this site has excelled and i am happy to be part of it, along with the Jedi here. You can find more of our recent history in the forums.
May the force be with you.
-Author unknown. Assumed to be Koren Jey or Starr. May have been Streen (he was the web designer).
The Temple of the Jedi Arts, or TotJA, was a core part of the Jedi Community and key in its development. It was not activity or member size that put the TotJA as of one of the Core sites of the Jedi Community, but rather its focus and ideals. The Temple of the Jedi Arts was dedicated to passing on the Jedi Path in a pure form, yet more then this they were the leaders in the Grey Jedi Path. The only site to offer Grey Jedi training at the time (at least actual training). There was a Grey Jedi Order, but it had a poor set-up and never really grew into much. (Their Code Here)
Note:: Beware those claiming Grey Jedi these days. Their stories are about as fictional as Star Wars. If one claims to be a Grey Jedi they should trace their lineage back to Starr (Obi Starr Kenobi) or Koren Jey. Must have usurped the label to denote the Fanon Grey Jedi (Their Code Here).

My time at the Temple of the Jedi Arts was generally a good one. I took part in the training offered and Apprenticed under Starr for a bit as a Grey Jedi. There were debates, conflicts, tensions between the Temple of the Jedi Arts and the Jedi of the New Millennium eased. There was even talk about merging the two together. While the lessons and standards of the TotJA by today's standards are questionable, they were leading the pack in 2000. And often served as an example and basis for other training programs.

The issue of Shadow and Grey being the same has been a much debated topic. And in the end, while they may have saw it the same, the Shadow Path did not. And ultimately I agree that Shadow and Grey were and are two different ideals.

Starr was a good teacher is high standards. He stated he was not leaving the Jedi Path or going to stop living as a Grey Jedi, simply that he did not feel he needed to be online anymore. And was going to focus just being a Grey Jedi offline. With Starr leaving the wolves descended and I left wanting no part of what I knew was to come. And when I returned I watched the last of the site die out. I came back a month or so later and it had been completely locked away.

My general overview is simple. Starr was a Grey Jedi (apprenticed under Koren Jey) and taught the Grey Jedi Path at the Temple of the Jedi Arts. As Koren Jey left shortly after the creation of the Temple of the Jedi Arts (he was active for the time when it was the JotNM). The site did well for a couple years.

The main page was redesigned by Streen (Jacen). Given a beautiful new look and innovative image mapping navigation. The Temple of the Jedi Arts was one of the first Jedi sites to offer open lessons, lectures, and techniques for all to learn from in their own time.

From 2000 to 2002 the Temple of the Jedi Arts was a solid site full of information. 2003-2004 saw the death of the Temple of the Jedi Arts as Starr left the Jedi Community. Control of the board was fought over with general politic fever and finally won by Xiao Ner Jinn. And even gaining administrator access from Starr. This eventually left the board in its current state - Deleted and Dead.

Now with the ez-board being closed and merged into the yuku system, all traces have been lost. The only know surviving copies being on my hard drive. One day I may even get it up on here. Sorry for not having that project finished. It is at the bottom of a long list.
Temple of the Jedi Arts - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/totja/
Note that the lessons are found in the holocron section which use an imagemap. Meaning you need to click on the picture to access new pages.
###
:: The History Assignment Six ::
Like JotNM there are many lessons to be found at this site. Of course some of them are repeats, since they While I am sure you can read through most of them within a week. It will probably take you the better part of the week. So make sure you give yourself some time. Now - pick a lesson - which one is your favorite?
Do you feel the Temple of the Jedi Arts would still be relevant today? Why or why not?
What did you think the meaning/moral of the Lore/Story "The Learner" was?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Seven =-
We now venture on to the biggest and most active Jedi website in 1999. Considered the birthplace of the Jedi Community (mistakenly as we have covered, but certainly not in a poetic sense and there is most truth as we'll discover) THE Jedi Academy was a place many Jedi came to first. When Episode One came out those inspired by it found themselves here first. From there they would either leave, stick it out, or find the Force Academy or the Jedi Creed. The forums were a non-stop place of activity and discussion.

What the Jedi Academy did spawn was the huge growth of the online Jedi Community. Jedi Academy used Ez-Board as their message board. The ease, look, and free-price-tag of Ez-Board encouraged many Jedi to create their own Jedi Discussion groups (myself included). By 2002 there were hundreds of Jedi Ez-Board groups. To put it in terms currently (at the time of writing) it is much like the plethora of Facebook groups which exist now. The simple ease and free cost of making them meant any and everyone could do it and many did. And like facebook many did so simply because they wanted to run things their own way. Like young impatient Jedi they thought they knew a better way without the experience or training. But that spread out the Jedi and created our Community and helped shape it into what we see today.
The Jedi Academy
Baal Legato
December 2nd, 1998 is the best known date. In 1999 they dropped their old BBC message board and used Ez-Board for their forums.
::About Website (from source)::
Who are you guys?
What the hell is this?
Do you really think you are Jedi??
Welcome to the Jedi Academy. We are a site dedicated to the philosophy and code presented as the Jedi way in the Star Wars movies. We do not have light sabers, we do not levitate our droids, what we seek to share and learn in this online community is an adaption of older wisdom for a newer age. We seek to identify what it means to live in the Jedi way and how to do so.

We are the people you work with, the people next door who seek to be better people through following the examples of fictional heroes and real world heroes of past and present.

We hope that you will join us in our search for knowledge and our duty to defend the weak.

-Baal Legato and the Academy staff

What we are not :
A role playing game organization
A sci-fi site (although we enjoy a good Tim Zhan novel)
Intent on building working light sabers or shooting lightning from our fingers.

How Star Wars changed my life... Excerpt from a forum posting

Inspiration and spiritual guidance are rare things in our world in these times, I should hope that no source is left out because of its media. Whether it be the bible, Koran or the Star Wars trilogy, the result can be the same. Wisdom is wisdom regardless of the packaging.

I and other countless millions grew up with the dream of becoming a Jedi Knight. As children it meant we would act out the battles and do what children do, but as we grew it manifested itself as a desire to live as a Jedi would, to be strong and just, to protect and defend. Now well into adulthood the dream of being a Jedi has evolved for my generation, no longer playing pretend, but shaping the people we are and the judgments that rule thousands of businesses and may one day guide the country.

If something truly changed your life and inspired you, helped shape you into something you can be proud of, then I say tell the world of it. Let those who will laugh do so and those with sense enough to recognize true inspiration benefit.
The Jedi Academy was more of a Realist site. Role-playing was not a big focus or factor. There was not training program, but rather individual instruction, sort of like the Master/Padawan deal. Mostly it was just discussion and debate. The JA's focus was much more on Lucas's inspiration and real world comparable aspect rather then the actual fiction itself.
::History from Site/Creator (or other leader)::
Source Relan Volkum - who was a member while it was active:
December 2nd, 1998 The first archived layout of The Jedi Academy website. On its main page, it scrolled, "Welcome to the Academy. Always. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This is the starting place on your journey. Carry forth what you learn, use it wisely. Knowledge and defense are the noble arts of a Jedi. Hold your tongue and fist, beware the Dark Side...and the Force will be with you."

Late 1998 through Mid-1999 It a shame we don't have a record of The Jedi Academy's BBC Message Board, the board that literally helped make discussion areas like this one a common sight online. Although they had another board earlier in 1998, it was this board which set the standard.

November 28th, 1999 through March 10th, 2000 This has been the most common layout for what has been known as The Jedi Academy Discussion Forum, powered by a new website, Ezboard. The Jedi Creed was also another known forum of Ezboard's in 1999.

October 13th, 2000 through April 20th, 2001 For the first time since the Discussion Forum's existence on Ezboard, The Jedi Academy decides to bring vital changes, putting up catagories and additional forum selections. By this time, many Jedi websites, such as the Jedi Organization (now JEDI), the Jedi Praxeum, Jedi of the New Millennium, and other groups were exploiting the use of Ezboard's tools.

December 1st, 2001 As Ezboard goes through an organizational transition and moves various discussion forums to other servers, the Jedi Academy takes advantage of the situation and begins to take on a more matured format.

August 2nd, 2002 This was the highest point in the JA forum saga. The current faculty at this time - Deean Kett, Sahar, Danny Tam, Hellflower, and Alcander Caedmon - made a notable effort in updating the academy into a newer, fresher creation.

December 12th, 2002 through March 1st, 2003 For the first time in over five years, the Jedi Academy's forums began to head towards a downward slope. An exaggeration of debate and frustration lead to key factions starting their own groups, such as Jedi Mythos and Jedi Academy West. The final nail in the coffin was the group's lack of ability to re-register the jediacademy.com domain.

October 27th, 2003 Hellflower and Sahar gives ownership responsibility to Jil-Qun Tahm, who later decides to eliminate the Faculty altogether. The Jedi Academy later decided to delve further into role playing, calling themselves the "Forsaken Jedi." It never was the same again.
::My Experience, View, and/or Involvement::
My time with Jedi Academy was limited by choice. When I first discovered the Jedi Academy it was amazing how busy they were. One ?debate? I was ?involved? in was a great example of the activity of the JA. A post was made, I offered a counter-view, got a call from a my friend and hung out with him for about 2 hours. In that time 20 replies and a full on exchange had taken place. If you went to bed in the middle of a debate, chances are you'd wake up and find three people had taken your view, while three more took an opposing view, and three more with individual views.

Many new the Jedi Community serious about the Jedi Path/Philosophy often found other sites to call home. While staying active at the JA. Unlike the Jedi Creed, Jedi of the New Millennium, and even the Force Academy, the Jedi Academy did not place any importance on Role-play. Most were against it and talk down to those that used it. They focused more on real world lessons which could be applied to the Jedi Ideals (the philosophy). Such as lessons from "Jedi Master Morihei Ueshiba (founder of Aikido)." As personal note, if I hear anything like that, such as Jedi Master Bruce Lee, I will find you and hurt you.

The Jedi Academy held top site position for a long time. They varied in training, but mostly you apprenticed under someone after showing your skills in conversation on the forums (not dissimilar to the Force Academy at the time). However the mentorship program was more for forum issues then actual Jedi teaching. They would be hard on you if you left a topic asking about how to get a Jedi Master, quick to belittle new members. Ultimately they believed more in just enjoying the fiction and learning other philosophies and religions out there.

Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, Stoicism, Chivalry. These were discussed and taught, the Jedi Academy considered them to be the real Jedi. Samurai, Knights, Martial Arts, Zen Masters, these were the real Jedi Masters. Not Qui-Gon, not Obi-Wan. It was silly to quote them for actual lessons. And so things like the Jedi Code and movie quotes were rarely used, but discussed often enough (to the annoyance of older members it seemed).

The Jedi Academy focused on these aspects. And so Shadow and Grey Jedi did not enter the picture and were laughed at. Dark Jedi and Sith were just considered selfish people who did whatever needed to get ahead. It was Jedi or nothing and Jedi were based upon other real paths so those should be studied instead.

Eventually the Jedi Academy grew too big and the number of "realists" (people who sought, studied, and taught actual material from Samurai, Knights, etc.) versus the number of role-players grew in favor of the role-players. The older members, burnt out from years of debates and conversation did not step up to take the leadership position when it opened up. And the Jedi Academy turned into the Forsaken Jedi Academy; a role-playing site which died within months of changing.

The original members of the Jedi Academy created a new message board called Jedi Mythos. And continued their judgmental and critical ways focusing solely on the inspiration behind Lucas's work rather then Lucas's work itself. Baal sought to sort of reboot Jedi Academy with Jedi Academy West. All of these endeavors would be ghosts of the Community by 2006.
Jedi Academy - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jediacademy/
Jedi Academy West - http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jawest/
Jedi Mythos - Not much to see and haven't gotten around to putting up a usable version yet.
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Seven ::
Do you think you would have stuck around and sought to be a Jedi if this were the first and only website you found?
What was your favorite lesson? (You can use a link or quote the whole lesson - my preference is quoting)
Do you agree with Baal's stance on the Dark Side and sharing Dark Side Teachings?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Eight =-
In 1999 when the Jedi Community really developed into what most would recognize there were three big sites. The Jedi Academy, the Jedi Creed, and the Force Academy. While Jedi of the New Millennium and the Jedi Temple were out there, they did not have their own domain name and so much harder to find. As such must less popular. The Force Academy presented a unique look into the Jedi Path. It offered something no other place had - a home for each individual aspect, Light and Dark. Sith were as welcome as Jedi and the website embraced the dichotomy of Star Wars with that.

From this another unique aspect arose - Shadow Jedi. A group of Jedi who didn't view the Force as having sides. They felt such black and white thing was mistaken and that the true way forward was through balance and accepting the totality of the whole. A necessary element of the times. Eventually the Shadow would drop the Jedi name and embracing their unique place in the Force Academy. The Shadow Aspect still exists and one can train to become a Shadow Knight or even a Shadow Master at the FA.
The Force Academy.
Andrew aka Forcemaster.
Exact date is unknown and lost to time. It seems 1998 is the accepted first attempt. By 1999 it had a .com and new face. In June 1999 many of their forums were created on the novatech message board (called the Force Council) that they used until 2009 and was completely erased (by novetech collapsing as a company) later that year.
::About Website (from source)::
The Force Academy was established several years ago, our aim was to shed light on some of the mythology and martial arts seen in the Star Wars films, there are parts of the Starwars saga which are based more on fact than on fiction, the force is one of those parts. The 'Force' can be thought of as an energy field the idea based on ancient Easter arts of Tao Chig, T'ai Chi and Zen. These arts/beliefs suggest that you have a life force created by you surrounding your body. These beliefs are supported by other sources such as auras and by people who can perform un-natural feats known as extra sensory perception or ESP. ESP comes in many forms; remote viewing, firewalkers, telepathy, telekenisis, human power sources (humans powering light bulbs with their bare hands) and of course Uri Geller's infamous spoon bending.

These beliefs and acts strengthen the possibility that a force which 'defies' or 'bends' the laws of physics to our present understanding exists. The Force Academy attempts to gather together some of these thoughts and philosophies and present them in an 'easy to follow' manner. In addition to the Force philosophies here there are also many games, interactive tools, images, desktop wallpaper, starwars related material and chatrooms to keep you entertained
The Force Academy was the very first site to offer the Shadow Path. Under Shinobi the Shadow Path became a highly respected and recoginzable part of the Jedi Community as a whole.
- ForceMaster
Jedi Realist is the best term for the Force Academy. Originally training was one-on-one only. With lectures being added as learning material. However eventually an Academy class was set-up. Though Apprentices remained the main teaching method. Today it is academy, apprenticeship, specialization, Knighthood. Here is their original declaration:
This Original Declaration was changed to a collective "Mission Statement" on Sunday May 29, 2011. This new mission statement is not included at this time.
The Force Academy sees its duty in furthering the beliefs and knowledge of the force, to aid all individuals in their personal quest for spiritual fulfillment, regardless of the 'aspect' (light/dark/shadow) of their choice.

We believe the striving of spiritual fulfillment to be an honorable goal that requires the maturity to understand our place among all aspects of the universe. This maturity must contain mutual respect for all scholars of the force and uphold the balance between the two (three) aspects of the force.

The Force Academy emphasizes this communal balance as the Light and Dark side both posses the mutual goals of bringing the philosophies of the force back to mankind. Those who wish to destroy one side of the balance fail to understand the principle of this balance and are suggested to leave this academy, as this community is a temple of coexistence on the grounds of mutual respect and integrity.

May the force be with you.
Darth Moor
Sith Lord
::History from Site/Creator (or other leader)::
This was given March 12th, 2011. The History of the FA, via Darth Moor:
The story how it all began. I had to smile remembering the old days. It was all such a coincidence really. But to my best recollection, this is what happened:

At the time I was a practicing master of dark witchcraft and was part of a related group. Professionally, I was planning to move abroad and leave Germany in the next few years. My associates, apprentices and my entire network would be left behind. The structure of my direct organization, as well as others I associated with, were all local. Apprentices were taught face to face, ceremonies and festivals all took place in person. There were some young and loosely structured internet boards I had started participating on, but these were more around high level exchange and coordination for other meetings across the country. Society and social workings didn't take place online. It was unheard of to teach someone over the internet. The risk was considered much too high. The chance of success without being able to mind read and guide the apprentice first hand, considered much too low.

But I had a schedule ahead of me and needed a plan. My analysis was that I would probably move to a non-German speaking country. I would need to talk and write in English as well as teach: Even if I would find someone locally, the more successful I would become professionally, the less I would be willing to afford a scandal. So the internet seemed a logical choice.

I spent some time surfing the net. My ultimate goal was to gain support of my group to launch an own website around our specific contents. But I would need a trial. A trial to understand how social dependencies work in a virtual community. To learn how to organize them. How to teach them. It would have to be in English on top of it. I assumed I would probably make quite a mess of things. So a trial seemed logical. You go in, learn how to do your thing and then you move on to the main act.

I had actually stumbled over forceacademy.com a few times. It basically kept coming up as a google search (or was it yahoo back then?) when I was looking for keywords such as "dark"and "lesson"or "lecture". The internet was still reasonably young in a spiritual sense and there weren't too many sites out there that didn't just talk about God and love all day long.

At the time forceacademy.com only had its original form. No web-board and only "lessons" from the Lucas history or SW books. I remember it well because it had this java applet where you could "find out your force ranking". It was basically a 30-seconds click-as-fast-as-you-can-SW-trivia-quiz that ended up naming you padawan, knight or master depending how well you knew the movies. I remember I liked it. It was spiritually useless, but I liked its potential for maybe some real character or alignment tests later on. I was looking out for ideas for my site as well and I thought it was a nice eye catcher.

One day I landed on the site to play it again and think about how I would utilize it for my needs, when I saw the Force Council had opened. I assumed I would bump into a lot of SW kids, but was curious to see how the site was structured and designed. I liked Andrew's design around the webpage alot.

I joined the site and began reading. It really looked like a bunch of SW kids and I thought the dark siders to be a bit unimpressive, while the light was parading around the forums. ;)

I tentatively started making a first, random post and noticed that there was a spell check feature. I also noticed I had quite a few errors in there and felt confirmed that I should probably do something like this for a while before considering my own site. I thought about it for a while and then fired a long post back at the light side. I decided to use my own philosophy on the craft and just made cosmetic changes where applicable to suite the "force"-based terminology. I still felt uncomfortable though. As if I was watering down my own teachings for entertainments sake. But the spell check was helpful.

It was a few days later. I'd received quite a few responses on my posts from all sides. Obviously the light side felt challenged as I'd hoped. And that was when Andy contacted me. We had a chat and he asked if I wanted to become something of a content developer for the site. We had a series of meetings over the next weeks, while I continued posting. The whole thing wasn't quite up my ally, but it had all the attributes I was looking for. Our discussion went pretty much like this:

In a first step, Andy was looking to develop content based on the SW background. In a second step, he was looking for potential earnings over banner advertisement if the site took off. He just wasn't sure how to go about it. He was a webdesigner and an employee or partner of a small firm in the UK. The forceacademy was just as much a trial for him as it was for me.

I introduced myself on a high level, both regarding my professional finance background as well as being a bit of a "spiritually active" person. I wrote short stories in my spare time and played a bit of amateur-theater on the side, which was true. My view was that the majority community members really wanted to talk about the force from a spiritual and philosophy stand point. They really meant it. They didn't want to only talk about the movies or be a pure SW community. There were some, but not the majority. Andy, I recall was a bit disappointed about this.

But I went on to suggest that that didn't have to be a negative. You could actually talk about philosophy, esoteric beliefs and so forth. Lucas developed jediism benchmarking current and historic beliefs. You see Asian philosophy, even elements of druidism in there. It was the sum of all religions. So, to talk about it, you only had to do some analysis and draw parallels. And then potentially do some cosmetic adjustments around the wording. He started warming up to the idea.

I remember we had a long discussion around terminology. Inevitably, someone was going to talk about "God" or "magic". And we would need to decide if we wanted it to be called "God" or "the force". Both had pros and cons. If you supported a focus on true religions, beliefs and practices, you would address a larger audience. And potentially come closer to the clicks you need to make money. Disadvantage would be that the "force theme" would become pointless and drive other people away again.

If you maintained the force theme, you would give the site a unique feel, but would continue to look at a smaller audience as probably only a small minority is interested in considering "real force powers", etc. Andy thought about it, but had to agree that the site would lose identity if we spoke of "God".

That was the next challenge. Board contents would need to be provided. If you started making force lectures, people would pick up and maintain the terminology. If you just let everything grow randomly, God would come up and the site would end up being split probably between two factions: the ones who liked the terminology of the force. The other, who thought it was unattractive. He asked me what I wanted out of the site and I said pretty much the same thing: Practice English, learn more about site development and structures to maybe launch an own project somewhere a year or so down the line. He suggested to team up and so we did.

Andy was a good web designer and a good man. And the idea of creating a living internet community excited the both of us. But I never felt he had a strong link to the spiritual contents that was developing. I especially felt to have found proof in that in terms of where he sought my partnership: he would own the domain and tinker the site, I would look how best to develop the contents. We would organize together and develop an advertisement program in case the site reached enough users. He was eager to hear my thoughts on the contents piece. A week later I made my pitch:

The main activity on the site was around light vs dark. Everyone was bashing each other and there were also some good authors out there. But the discussion of Buddha and God was already emerging. My suggestion was two fold: One, we need people to generate contents. They needed to be the right people who want to take the definition of the force to the next level. Mature people who could demonstrate the right behaviors and organize others. Two, we needed to capitalize on the antagonist them: light vs dark. As a writer and hobby actor, I told him, there is nothing better than when your audience is emotionally involved.

My suggestion was to develop three councils. One for the light and dark side. Good potentials could be put there and would receive community status in return for contents provided. The site could become self evolving on that principle. Which was important as well, because we didn't know where it would go. The councils watch their aspects, develop contents based on wants of their supporters. Like profit centers in a company.

The third council would be the Inner Council, basically for admin. Where the parties come together to discuss the site development, both from a contents perspective as well as tech-wise. He would eventually also need other people to help him admin the site, while he worked on long term improvements. We spoke a while who would lead the council. He wanted me to do it, but I thought it better if it wasn't a dark sider. The majority was on the light side after all and they would be concerned. But I thought it was a good job for him. You see alot of people tried to involve Andy in force related discussions. They looked at him as their leader. He was the "forcemaster" after all. So leading the IC would give the people their icon, but also give alibi when he was "too busy" to write anything of his own. It would calm down the light siders and I could still do the effective on board admin work. He liked it and so we went to work.

The light and dark council idea was of course also favorable for my own needs. Within the offline group I was in, we operated in the same way: You had covens. Masters who taught and witches / warlocks who provided content, to prepare them for teaching themselves one day. Apprentices received teaching and took on chores in return. And the coven master or lord ruled them all. Governing their needs, holding ceremonies, testing apprentices. It would be the same structure I would look for on my own site. And I was quite thankful that by coincidence Lucas also ranked jedis on three levels, padawans, knights and masters.

I spent the next weeks interviewing people to run the light council. I would need someone where I wouldn't need to hold back. Someone who was reasonably my equal, to develop the light side as I the dark. And that's where I met Caledvolc (think that was his name). We had a similar profile. He was an active druid and had also stumbled over the site by accident. He thought the terminology strange but saw the people looking and talking about true things. He was understandably conservative during our first meetings. I was candid with him: the chance to promote true spirituality in an active and online community. But magic and God had no place in it. It would have to be the force. We talked about the councils, Andy's role and our go forward. He was a bit hesitant as I had been in the beginning, but warmed up to the idea. I set up I think a formal interview with Andy, but told him to hire him. And that's what happened.

Caledvolc and I maintained good relationships. We shared ideas about online teaching, lectures and organizational topics. He spoke about druidism, I spoke about witchcraft. We both spoke about the force. When posts and arguments got strong between our groups, we spoke and made sure things didn't get out of hand. That's also the time from where the force constitution came from that I wrote and that was announced on the original board. The dark council and its members were quickly organized as I had done that before. We were ahead of the light side's organization and we chose well with our apprentices. But they didn't hold back and ideologically, the light side was not yet their equal.

I liked him. I was sad to see him go. But one day, a few months down the road, maybe half a year, he wanted to leave. I think it was an issue of personal priorities. And although I also liked his successor, Garren, if I'm not mistaken, Caledvolc and I had much more in common. Garren was a philosopher, but not a student of the occult. And I think he didn't trust me. But I guess that came with the territory.

One fine day, months later, I bumped into a young man who was stepping out of line. He was a good writer and didn't think the light side or dark side was right. He wanted something else. We spoke often as I tried to assess if he had a real point. We spoke about Asian philosophy, about Tao, and Chi. He convinced me that Lucas maybe didn't have it all covered. So I offered him to open up a third council and install him as their head. His name was Shinobi. A good friend. And one I see still roaming these halls. I will have to catch up with him some time. It's been too long.

In the end, Andy and I had created something unique in the web. And although it never reached the hits needed for banner advertisement it was good. It was a good home for a long time. Eventually Andy and I parted ways. He withdrew to work on other projects and I had learned everything I could from leading the dark council. It was time for me to move on to my own site. Andy issued me my work references which I added to my CV as I continued my professional career. As for the dark council: I tossed the crown into the mud from one day to the next. I knew they would fight for it, it was the only way. I guessed my knight Satelle would take it. She and I had quite different views on what the force was. She was all about science, of all things. But she was a capable woman and a good organizer. I enjoyed working with her as well. And then I left.

I returned to my offline group and six months later my request for site support and promotion was denied. It was determined that related witchdom was based in Germany and they would never type in English. That was true. There was actually a time at the FA, where the board had hidden forums in German. Andy gave me some ley-way as I was trying to recruit some of my own and make them comfortable. But they never took to it. Why talk on the net, if you could meet the person irl. Why in English, if it was already hard enough to teach successfully. They had no plans to leave Germany. True, there are few who go outside. Few witches, fewer of those are international in mindset. So, I went out and tried myself. But that's a story for another time.
-Darius Moor
::My Experience, View, and/or Involvement::
In the early days the Force Academy was maintained and run by Andrew who went by the name ForceMaster, a play off the word webmaster. He did not think himself as an actual Master of the Force. In the July of 1999 the ForceMaster wanted to make changes to the site (due to the release of Episode One and the huge influx of members). He also wanted solidify it with a training program. So he sought the help of the most active and popular members. The member who had the most post count, was online the most, had top ranking on all stats was asked his opinion first on how the Force Academy should proceed with the influx of all the new students. This individual recommended that the ForceMaster create an Inner Council, a group to run the entire Force Academy. The Inner Council would be made up of one leading member of each Aspect Light, Shadow, and Dark. And would be overseen by the ForceMaster to make sure things stayed equal and fair. Four members, with three holding voting power. A system that would be used on and off even to this day.

The ForceMaster then contacted Shinobi and Darth Moor. Shinobi had turned the Shadow Path into a respectable aspect to be a part of and is often credited for creating the Shadow Jedi. And enlightened many who had never heard of a Shadow Jedi. Darth Moor proved himself a charismatic leader, intelligent, and able to hold civilized conversations and debates. And the Light was given to the leading member of the board, the same person who suggested the creation of the Inner Council in the first place. Dramatic reveal - that was me. I had a lot of time on my hands then. Individual Councils were than made, a Light Jedi Council, Shadow Jedi Council, and Sith Council. Each Leader was requested to make lectures/lessons for their respective Aspects.

It was at this time that I, as the Light Council Leader stepped down and suggested to give the position to Jedi Knight G. Who should take my place on the Inner Council as well. Mostly I had internet issues and could not fulfill the duties. But also it sort of freaked me out. I wasn't ready for that position or anything and I certainly didn't feel like a Jedi Knight let alone Master and Councilor. So I passed the buck and my lack of internet connection did the rest. Three months later I'd get full access back, but by that time the FA had moved on and forgot about old Opie-Wan Macleod.

Ultimately Caledvolc got the main job and responsibility. Though a lot of duties and such went to Jedi Knight G and he did get the responsibility of leading the Light Jedi in the end. And the Light Jedi flourished and were provided many great lessons/lectures from him. The Force Academy grew in respect, and held strongly to keeping to their way of doing things. Preserving their system and ideals.

The Force Academy saw only growth (in members, not in practices) for years. Bringing forth many well known Jedi such as Spark Vallen (community view). The Force Academy's commitment to the ideals laid down in the beginning by the Inner Council really served them well. They were very elitest, yet that has helped them keep what worked for them. And even to this day they have a very similar set-up to the Original. They have an Inner Council, as well as individual Light, Dark, Shadow Councils. Though many changes have taken place over the years. Many shake-ups, political issues, at times the Inner Council was removed, considered corrupt, and so forth.

After over ten years at the same domain and forum hosting they lost administration privileges to the main site and the forum hosting company went under in mid-2009. Again a lot was lost in the forum going under. However the Force Academy did not stop and before all was lost began moving to a new location, the move officially ending in summer of 2009 when the hosting of the website and forums was lost forever. You can find the new Force Academy at http://www.forceacademy.co.uk/

One of the things you may notice is the very cool F.A. Emblems they have. These were innovations when created back in early 2000, actual emblems you could put in your signature which showed Aspect, Rank, and any Office you held. It set a standard for recognition and image use. I have used the idea and sought to create something similar, but no one has surpassed the Force Academy in that area, in my opinion.
Original FA Website: http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/forceacademy/
New FA Website: http://www.forceacademy.co.uk/
Video Lecture:

###
:: The History Assignment Eight ::
When looking at the website and considering it for the question - please refer to the archived version rather than the new/active version.
Do you feel that Light Jedi: Lecture #13 is relevant to training today?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-= The History: Lecture Nine =-
The reason I list this, besides being a big influence in my own path and history, is because of how it ended. There is always a desire for Jedi Unity. Even now self-gratifying groups like the Jedi Federation seek to somehow unify the Jedi. An unfortunate by-product of human nature. Yet in the twenty whatever years which the Community has existed not one Unity Project (and there have been many) as succeeded. Unity Through Community as the motto the Jedi United (v.2) went by for sometime, but would eventually ignore that in seeking to unite with the Jedi Temple.

The best unity of the Jedi will come when we connect the standards and core material we all follow and simply acknowledge that. The Jedi stamp of approval. Not rights or permissions to train at other sites, but simply to acknowledge the effort and time served at other places. Unity Through Community. Embracing our diversity and encouraging it rather than trying to stuff everyone under the same banner, roof, and symbol. But enough of my ranting. Lets get into history...
The Jedi Temple a.k.a. Temple of the Jedi
John Olorin and Ogion (real life brothers).
Best known date is Summer of 1999.
The Mission Statement:
The Jedi Temple has two very simple goals:
to create a community, to forge a stronger whole out of the many small Force-related sites
to train Jedi Knights
We notice that many serious sites are small ones; this helps them to keep training focused, or to keep a private atmosphere among friends. However, as we at the Jedi Temple realise, it is difficult for such sites to organise themselves, to co-ordinate their efforts, recognise each other's training standards and titles, or simply be noticed.

This is what the Jedi Temple exists for. It is formed by a few of such smaller sites. We see ourselves as a step towards greater unity among Jedi.

First of all, the Jedi Temple provides common grounds for meeting with members of other groups. It allows for broad, and at the same time focused, discussion of ideas, views and problems.

It also has room for techniques, meditations, lectures, topics on physical training, along with literature, poetry and role-playing stories written both by individuals as well as the whole community (the so-called 'run-on' stories).

Teachers from individual training groups meet here to exchange methods and lessons, as well as talk about experiences.

The Jedi Temple elects a Council every six months. This governing body consists of seven Councilors. They are chosen democratically by all the members of the Temple and the sites that constitute it. Any of the members (Jedi and students) can vote, as well as be a Councilor.

The Council exists so that decisions concerning the whole Temple can be taken in a decent amount of time, and in privacy - rather than be subject to an endless open discussion. Among other things, the Jedi Temple Council recognises students who have completed their training as Jedi Knights. Also, it receives applications from potential students and directs them to individual groups.

If you are an administrator of a Force-related web site, you can, by submitting your place to us, be placed amongst a group of such sites. Therefore, becoming a part of a community.

Since it might take some time before members of your site integrate with the existing Jedi Temple community and manage to earn the respect they deserve, it would be difficult for you to gain a fair representation in the Council.

That is why, if you join less than three months before the beginning of nominations for elections, the Temple guarantees one seat to a person chosen by your site (chosen by whatever methods you see fit for you - the Temple doesn't interfere with your internal affairs).

The goal of the Jedi Temple as a whole, with its component sites, is to actually train Jedi. This includes discussing the way and philosophy of the Jedi, their place among in the world, as well as training of various skills and actual usage of Force powers.

If you want to be trained, you first need to send your application to the Council. See the "training" page for details.

It must be noted (as we've received some weird applications) that we are not a role-playing site. Stories in the Jedi Temple Library allow for this form of entertainment, yet this is not the main goal. Training here is for those who have commitment and a serious mind, and are willing to meet high standards.
Jedi Realism - before the term came into being. They used Academy-Style with the occasional Apprenticeship. Though mostly it was training Groups, such as Blue Group, Red/Phoenix Group, and White Group. Jedi was the focus, with no involvement with other known elements such as Shadow, Grey, Dark, or any color Jedi. However many branches came out of the Jedi Temple memberage. Such as Rogue Jedi was created by Rendar Queloon. And the Light Sith was brought back (un-ironically) by Alloran. Both were long term and core members of the Temple of the Jedi. The Jedi Temple was always a place of philosophical nurturing. Using a lot of role-playing and creative writing elements to encourage thought-provoking ideas and scenarios. The use of fiction however eventually had a negative impact. But in the beginning worked well for the focus of the philosophical group.
Via Chris-Tien Jinn and myself. Originally written by Chris and revised by me.
The Beginnings:
Red Group was originally a traditional correspondence course offered via email. Lessons were emailed to students and assignments emailed back to them. No discussion board originally existed, nor did a web site. This started in 1998 or 1999. It was pretty old, short and primitive. 12 or 16 lessons only to become a knight. But, it was a start.

Eventually, the correspondence course kinda fizzled out - people were more interested in group interaction. So the Red Group of the Temple of the Jedi was formed on a discussion board (on ex-board which has been deleted by ez-board) by John Olorin and Ogion. John was one of the Role-players, and I'm not sure how much of his "history" was real. His real life twin brother Ogion was said to be more realistic, but unfortunately died in 2000. Arie Luxhert was briefly at the Force Academy and she brought her training program ideas over to Red Group from there.

Around the year 2000 the resident website wizard Streen created a main site for the Temple of the Jedi. Steffan Karrade, and others were involved in creating the discussion board, training groups and brought ideas from other sites. Text-based Role-Playing was part of the training and practice portion of the effort.

Unfortunately, for many people the text-based RP was the sole reason they were involved in the Jedi Temple, which was not clear at the time. The mix of people playing around for fun and those who were trying to create a real training and service organization would eventually cause the Jedi Temple to close, with plenty of hard feelings to go around.

The Apex:
At the height of the Jedi Temple, a Council governed the effort. Sometimes appointed and sometimes elected, it usually included about 7 people. Structurally, the organization was much like the movies, although the lack of enough teachers forced us to offer classes for groups of people who all took the same lessons at the same time (Red Group, Blue Group, and White group) - sorta like the Jedi Knight games. Some lucky people were able to be mentored one-on-one, like the master-apprentice relationships of the movies. A preferred method of Chris-Tien Jinn.

We eventually had multiple training groups, using the cohort training model. Red, Blue, Green, and White. Arie kept hers separate as the Phoenix Group. There was also a Dragon Group. Multiple other sites intersected and hived off as the larger Jedi Community struggled to define itself. The most active groups were Blue Group and Arie's Phoenix Group.

The Jedi Temple tried to hold a middle ground that included people with different needs and strengths. We formed the Jedi Temple Academy for a while in an effort to evolve a joint, standard curriculum core. And, of course, we participated in an aborted attempt to merge with the Jedi United into the Temple of the Jedi Order. - Chris-Tien Jinn

I joined in early 2000. And was part of the first Blue Group along with Destiny Froste, Mark Irondragon, Nya Lionsong, and one or two others that slip my mind currently (sorry). Shortly into the program John Olorin left due to personal issues. If I remember right, it was the death of his twin brother Ogrin. Chris-Tien Jinn took over as the teacher for the group and we flourished for some time as a group.

A friendly rivalry started between the two training groups Phoenix and Blue Group. Since both trained separately and had their own message boards only they could access, yet we were all part of the Jedi Temple and interacted on the Jedi Temple forums. Each group grew close within their training structure. This rivalry good natured at first became a bit more intense with the difference in training time. Arie's Phoenix group graduated long before Blue group, with many Blue Group members having seniority. Yet due to them being Jedi Knights, many were given positions and privileges other felt they may have deserved more.

Alloran, a young member of Phoenix Group, turned down his Knighthood feeling he had not earned it. Morken Saan, at first turned it down, but later accepted it purely for organizational purposes and made a public statement saying such. Also stating he felt he did not deserve it. All this encouraged that rivalry between the groups.

When a big event happened, this rivalry became a very distinct split. A few months prior Arie had been dating Def Bejor. Def's brother informed Arie that Def had committed suicide after they had a fight and she broke up with him. A couple months passed and the truth came out - Def had his brother lie about it. He was alive and well and wanted to come back to the Jedi Temple. Publicly Arie made a post lashing out at Def, very insulting, very emotional. This split the site bringing already lingering concerns to the forefront.

Most of Blue Group actually felt Arie was in the wrong with her actions and should be held accountable. At the same time as acknowledging Def's actions were wrong and he should receive some punishment to make amends. While the majority of Phoenix group (with two exceptions, Alloran and Morken) felt Arie was right and Def should be banned for his actions. This split on this issue hurt relations which would affect even later decisions. The resulting outcome of this incident was Def was allowed back, with no title or position. Arie separated her training group from the Jedi Temple. And the formation of new training groups was made, including Steffan's White Group. Other incidents, such as members having double-accounts, one Light, one Dark, took its toll on the community. Unfortunately these type of events and problems were not subject to the Jedi Temple alone during this time. Yet these things would ultimately total up and take a toll when the merger came about.

As mentioned creative writing was used a lot in the community. With heavy role-playing elements. This made for a fun environment. And one that always had a good story going on somewhere, usually with fictional versions of our online selves. Though that too blurred a line and would eventually cause problems.

Overall I had a positive experience. While many "negative" events happened during my time there very few had to do with me directly and were learning experiences. After my leave from the Force Academy in 1999 the Jedi Temple was my first real home; even more so then my own attempt at my own site/forum. Jedi Temple was also the first real Council I served on. I was really inspired and met some great people at the Jedi Temple. Morken played a huge role in my development, helping me to expand my line of thinking. Steffan kept the creativity alive and kept the fiction a continued source of inspiration. Chris-Tien Jinn set the first bar for real standards and that, along with Morken and Alloran, instilled a desire to always reach for a higher standard.

The sense of family, like real family, the enjoyment, the rivalry, the dislikes, really was evident at the Jedi Temple. And really embodied the feel of the early Jedi. We are very close, a true community, but young in every way (even the older by age Jedi were still young in many ways, most of all experience in online interaction/teaching). And as we grew, we grew apart, maturing in different directions.

The place was on the decline due to that. The merger with the Jedi United into the Temple of the Jedi Order was just the nail in the coffin. With new students becoming scarce, .coms winning the search (and thus getting whatever new members there were), our group dividing even more with the training groups, the council was becoming more inactive not sure what the next step should be. Coming together, merging memberage seemed like a good move. Bring the community closer to unity and having common ground. Yet many had already left and it started to become a game of tag. You'd check the board, no one was there. They'd check the board you'd be gone for a couple days, and things were tittering that way for awhile before the merger.

Good place, but just didn't have any end game. No one really knew what it meant to be or live as a Jedi. We were all figuring it out together. And we just couldn't find common ground with the human element, the desire for community and popularity. And like many other places eventually closed as members moved on with their lives. And no leadership remained.

http://jediliving.com/jediarchive/jeditemple/
Forum changed to yuku, still available: http://jeditemple39003.yuku.com
Video Lecture (which covers the merger and Temple of the Jedi Order):
In Development
###
:: The History Assignment Nine ::
'Living in the Force' by Jedi Hellflower is considered a lost, yet core Jedi Lesson - what are your thoughts on it? Do you feel ti is valid today? Why do you think it has been lost to history?